Project leader: Dr Michael Owusu
Dr. Michael Owusu is a Clinical Microbiologist and a lecturer at the Department of Medical Laboratory Technology, Faculty of Allied Health Sciences, KNUST. He is working on the human microbiome project which seeks to understand the interactions between microbial communities and human diseases in children. His key research question is to find out how perturbations of microbial communities in the different body compartments is related to diseases in children. He aims to use classical microbiology and high throughput sequencing technology to examine these interactions human diseases.
Title for project: MICROBIOME OF LUNG INFECTIONS IN CHILDREN (MOLIC)
The current MOLIC study is investigating the microbial causes of respiratory disease in children who have HIV infection. We seek to achieve this through the use of mixed case control study design that involves sampling HIV infected patients and HIV uninfected patients. Clinical samples including sputum or induced sputum and bronchoalveolar lavage are screened for microbial organisms using classical microbiological techniques. Further advanced sequencing will be performed on all samples to describe the meta-taxonomic and metagenomic profile of subjects and then correlate this with disease condition. This project will reveal possible microbial pathogens associated with respiratory disease in HIV infected and uninfected children
- Microbial pathogens associated with acute childhood diarrhoea in Kumasi, Ghana. Gilbert Kotei Ashie, Mohamed Mutocheluh, Michael Owusu, Theophilus Benjamine Kwofie, Samuel Akonor, Patrick Williams Narkwa, Samuel Blay Nguah, Joslin Dogbe. BMC Res Notes. 2017; 10: 264.
- Health care workers indicate ill preparedness for Ebola Virus Disease outbreak in Ashanti Region of Ghana. Augustina Angelina Annan, Denis Dekugmen Yar, Michael Owusu, Eno Akua Biney, Paa Kobina Forson, Portia Boakye Okyere, Akosua Adumea Gyimah and Ellis Owusu-Dabo. BMC Public Health, 17:546: 2017.
- Pseudomonas oryzihabitans sepsis in a 1-year-old child with multiple skin rashes: a case report. Michael Owusu, Ellis Owusu-Dabo2*, Godfred Acheampong, Isaac Osei, John Amuasi, Nimako Sarpong, Augustina Annan, Hsin-Ying Chiang, Chih-Horng Kuo, Se Eun Park, Florian Marks and Yaw Adu-Sarkodie. Journal of Medical Case Report, 11:77:2017
- Performance of First Response® and CareStart™ Malaria Rapid Diagnostic Tests for the Detection of Plasmodium falciparum in a Tertiary Hospital in Ghana. Bernice Ameyaw, Mohamed Mutocheluh, Michael Owusu, Alhassan Abiba Khalifah, Richard Vikpebah Duneeh and Patrick Williams Narkwa. British Journal of Medicine & Medical Research, 19(8): 1-7, 2017
- An ileal perforation associated with CTX-M and TEM extended spectrum β-lactamases- producing extended broad spectrum β-lactamase Escherichia coli: medical case report. Michael Owusu, Kojo Sarfo Marfo1, Isaac Osei,John Amuasi1, Nimako Sarpong, Augustina Annan, Ellis Owusu-Dabo ,Yaw Adu-Sarkodie. Clinical Reviews and Case Reports 2016, 3:1:140.
- Dengue virus exposure among blood donors in Ghana. P. W. Narkwa, M. Mutocheluh, T. B. Kwofie, M. Owusu, A. Annan, I. Ali and J.K. Boamah. Journal of Medical and Biomedical Sciences (2016) 5(2): 30-35
- Assessment of prison life of persons with disability in Ghana. Dogbe J, Owusu-Dabo E, Edusei A, Plange-Rhule G, Addofoh N, Baffour-Awuah S, Sarfo-Kantanka O, Hammond C, Owusu M. BMC Int Health Hum Rights. 2016 Aug 8;16(1):20.
- Sero-prevalence of rubella virus, cytomegalovirus and herpes simplex virus – 2 among pregnant women attending the ante-natal care unit at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital. Theophilus Benjamin Kwofie, Frederick Ayensu, Mohamed Mutocheluh, Patrick Narkwa, Samuel Blay Nguah, Michael Owusu. Journal of Public Health in Developing Countries, vol. 1, No. 2, pp 56-63
- Evidence for an ancestral association of human coronavirus 229E with bats. Corman VM, Baldwin HJ, Fumie Tateno A, Melim Zerbinati R, Annan A, Owusu M, Nkrumah EE, Maganga GD, Oppong S, Adu-Sarkodie Y, Vallo P, da Silva Filho LV, Leroy EM, Thiel V, van der Hoek L, Poon LL, Tschapka M, Drosten C, Drexler JF. J Virol. 2015 Sep 16, JVI.01755-15
- Pattern and Predictors of Immunologic Recovery in HIV infected patients: Observations from Two Health Facilities in Ghana. Theophilus B Kwofie, Michael Owusu, Mohamed Mutocheluh, Samuel Blay Nguah, Joseph Obeng-Baah, Charlotte Hanson, Albert Dompreh. BMC Res Notes 2015 Sep 4; 8(1):413.
- Knowledge and practice of malaria prevention among caregivers of children with malaria admitted to a teaching hospital in Ghana. Emmanuel Ameyaw, Joslin Dogbe, Michael Owusu. Asian Pac J Trop Dis 2015; 5(8): 658-661, August-2015
- Human–Bat Interactions in Rural West Africa. Priscilla Anti, Michael Owusu, Olivia Agbenyega, Augustina Annan, Ebenezer Kofi Badu,Evans Ewald Nkrumah, Marco Tschapka,Samuel Oppong, Yaw Adu-Sarkodie, Christian Drosten. Emerging Infectious Diseases.Vol. 21, No. 8, August 2015
- Pain Description and Presentation in Children Admitted to a Teaching Hospital in Ghana. Hammond CK, Dogbe J, Paintsil V, Osei-Tutu L and Owusu M. Journal of Cancer Prevention & Current Research. Volume 2 Issue 4 – 2015
- High prevalence of common respiratory viruses and no evidence of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus in Hajj pilgrims returning to Ghana, 2013. Augustina Annan, Michael Owusu · Kwadwo Sarfo Marfo, Richard Larbi, Francisca Naana Sarpong, Yaw Adu-Sarkodie, Joseph Amankwa, Samuel Fiafemetsi, Christian Drosten, Ellis Owusu-Dabo, Isabella Eckerle. Tropical Medicine & International Health 02/2015; 20(6).
- Risk factors associated with hepatitis B exposure and the reliability of five rapid kits commonly used for screening blood donors in Ghana. Mutocheluh M, Owusu M, Kwofie TB, Akadigo T, Appau E, Narkwa PW. BMC Res Notes. 2014 Dec 4;7(1):873
- Human coronaviruses associated with upper respiratory tract infections in three rural areas of Ghana. Owusu M, Annan A, Corman VM, Larbi R, Anti P, Drexler JF, Agbenyega O, Adu-Sarkodie Y, Drosten C. PLoS One. 2014 Jul 31;9(7). Emerging Infectious Disease. 2013 Mar;19(3):456-9.
- Human betacoronavirus 2c EMC/2012-related viruses in bats, Ghana and Europe. Annan A, Baldwin HJ, Corman VM, Klose SM, Owusu M, Nkrumah EE, Badu EK, Anti P, Agbenyega O, Meyer B, Oppong S, Sarkodie YA, Kalko EK, Lina PH, Godlevska EV, Reusken C, Seebens A, Gloza-Rausch F, Vallo P, Tschapka M, Drosten C, Drexler JF.Emerg Infect Dis. 2013 Mar;19(3):456-9
- Aetiological agents of cerebrospinal meningitis: a retrospective study from a teaching hospital in Ghana. Owusu M, Nguah SB, Boaitey YA, Badu-Boateng E, Abubakr AR, Lartey RA, Adu-Sarkodie Y. Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob. 2012 Oct 4;11:28
- Respiratory viruses in children hospitalized for acute lower respiratory tract infection in Ghana. Kwofie TB, Anane YA, Nkrumah B, Annan A, Nguah SB, Owusu M. Virol J. 2012 Apr 10; 9:78.
- Hepatitis B and C viral infections among blood donors. A retrospective study from a rural community of Ghana. Nkrumah B, Owusu M, Averu P. BMC Res Notes. 2011 Dec 12; 4:52
EDCTP (European and Clinical Trials Partnership)