Opportunities & Vacancies
Insectary laboratory technician in Infectious Disease Epidemiology Research Group
|Job location||Kumasi Centre for Collaborative Research in Tropical Medicine, Ashanti Region, Ghana|
|Number of positions available:||1 (one)|
|Reports in the Research group to||Principal Investigator, Project coordinators|
|Reports at KCCR to:||Scientific Director, Head of Administration, Head of Laboratories|
As a research group in sub-Sahara Africa based at the Kumasi Centre for Collaborative Research in Tropical Medicine (KCCR) in Ghana, our main goal is to investigate diseases causing fevers in new-born and young children in order to provide guidance to reduce the burden of these diseases in Ghana and beyond. To achieve our goal, we are involved in different consortia with different partners across Africa and overseas. Our research activities are mainly supported via European funders like the German Centre for Infection Research (DZIF), (European and Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnership (EDCTP), German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF), German Research Foundation (DFG) and Wellcome Trust/Accelerating Excellence in Science in Africa (WT/AESA). For more information, visit our webpage: https://kccr-ghana.org/research-impact/research-groups-projects/paediatric-fevers/.
The post-holder shall undertake various activities associated with the research group. These activities will be performed either at KCCR, at the study sites in Ghana or outside Ghana. The post-holder is expected to have good organisational and communication skills. He/she should be willing to work efficiently within a multidisciplinary team in order to perform all activities in a timely fashion.
The post-holder is part of a team consisting of international investigators from Germany, local investigators (local PI, coordinators), laboratory technicians, midwives, fieldworkers and data management team.
The post-holder is accountable in the first instance to the local PI, the team and field coordinators and will also be supervised by the international investigators.
The post-holder should always maintain a good relationship with external partners by communicating in a professional and courteous manner.
C. Tasks and Responsibilities
D. Required qualifications, competences and experience
– At least 3 years experienced in Entomology (rearing mosquitoes)
– Dissection of mosquitoes and identification of parasites
– Experienced in field study implementation for human sample and insect collection
– Experienced in in Malaria slide reading
– Competence in basic laboratory techniques
– Willingness to learn new methodologies through rigorous training and perform as part of a team
– Planning skills
– Accurate, clear and organised record-keeping skills
– Initiative and decision-making abilities
– Adherence to confidentiality requirements
– Experienced in Membrane Feeding Assay and establishing Anopheles colony
– Knowledge in Molecular biology (PCR) and ELISA techniques
– Knowledge in Good Clinical Practice and Good Clinical Laboratory Practice
– Computer literacy, particularly with respect to Word, EXCEL, Powerpoint
Remuneration will be according to KCCR standards. The contract will be for 12-months (renewable), with the first 3 months as probation.
F. How to apply
Expected starting date: April 01, 2020
The management of the Kumasi Centre for Collaborative Research in Tropical Medicine (KCCR) is seeking to recruit a hardworking, enthusiastic and committed individual to occupy a Doctoral (PhD) Student Position on the Filariasis project. The project is funded by the European and Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnership (EDCTP) and seeks to investigate the efficacy of anti-wolbachial drugs in the treatment of onchocerciasis and lymphatic filariasis.
Doctoral (PhD) Student Position
· To support the team of researchers in the execution of filariasis project activities by undertaking assigned tasks in accordance with the Project’s protocols by making use of standard research techniques and methods. These may include fieldwork, laboratory experimentation, computer-based data analysis and library research as directed by the Principal Investigator (PI).
Activities include but not limited to:
· Assisting in the development of standard operating procedures (SOPs) required for the execution of the project.
· Organising field and laboratory activities in consultation with the Postdoctoral fellow and the Project coordinator in accordance with SOPs generated.
· Analysing and interpreting results of own research, under the supervision of the PI and the Coordinator; writing up results towards the preparation of manuscripts for submission to appropriate journals and conferences, and other outputs as required and/ or appropriate.
· Planning own day-to-day research activity/ies within the framework of the agreed programme, in consultation with the Postdoctoral fellow and Project coordinator dealing with problems that may affect the achievement of research objectives and deadlines.
QUALIFICATIONS/ PERSON SPECIFICATIONS
The Post holder should have the following: (E = Essential; D = Desirable)
- Masters degree in Clinical Microbiology/ Medical Laboratory Technology/ Biological Sciences/ Biomedical Science or equivalent (E)
· Experience of working with clinical samples (E)
· Experienced in statistical analysis of clinical data (E)
- Team player with good interpersonal working relationship (D)
· Ability to work under pressure (E)
· Ability to work for longer hours (E).
MODE OF APPLICATION
Interested persons should send their applications addressed to The Head of Administration, KCCR, KNUST, Kumasi including their CV, a motivation letter, copies of certificates and two reference letters and email them to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 28th February 2020.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
For further information on the position, please contact Prof. Alexander Yaw Debrah (email@example.com), Dr. (Mrs.) Linda B. Debrah (firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com) or Dr. Jubin Osei-Mensah (firstname.lastname@example.org).