Opportunities & Vacancies
The management of the Kumasi Centre for Collaborative Research in Tropical Medicine (KCCR) is seeking to recruit a hardworking, enthusiastic and committed individual to occupy a Doctoral (PhD) Student Position on the Filariasis project. The project is funded by the European and Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnership (EDCTP) and seeks to investigate the efficacy of anti-wolbachial drugs in the treatment of onchocerciasis and lymphatic filariasis.
Doctoral (PhD) Student Position
· To support the team of researchers in the execution of filariasis project activities by undertaking assigned tasks in accordance with the Project’s protocols by making use of standard research techniques and methods. These may include fieldwork, laboratory experimentation, computer-based data analysis and library research as directed by the Principal Investigator (PI).
Activities include but not limited to:
· Assisting in the development of standard operating procedures (SOPs) required for the execution of the project.
· Organising field and laboratory activities in consultation with the Postdoctoral fellow and the Project coordinator in accordance with SOPs generated.
· Analysing and interpreting results of own research, under the supervision of the PI and the Coordinator; writing up results towards the preparation of manuscripts for submission to appropriate journals and conferences, and other outputs as required and/ or appropriate.
· Planning own day-to-day research activity/ies within the framework of the agreed programme, in consultation with the Postdoctoral fellow and Project coordinator dealing with problems that may affect the achievement of research objectives and deadlines.
QUALIFICATIONS/ PERSON SPECIFICATIONS
The Post holder should have the following: (E = Essential; D = Desirable)
- Masters degree in Clinical Microbiology/ Medical Laboratory Technology/ Biological Sciences/ Biomedical Science or equivalent (E)
· Experience of working with clinical samples (E)
· Experienced in statistical analysis of clinical data (E)
- Team player with good interpersonal working relationship (D)
· Ability to work under pressure (E)
· Ability to work for longer hours (E).
MODE OF APPLICATION
Interested persons should send their applications addressed to The Head of Administration, KCCR, KNUST, Kumasi including their CV, a motivation letter, copies of certificates and two reference letters and email them to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 28th February 2020.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
For further information on the position, please contact Prof. Alexander Yaw Debrah (email@example.com), Dr. (Mrs.) Linda B. Debrah (firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com) or Dr. Jubin Osei-Mensah (firstname.lastname@example.org).